We are me; Mummy, otherwise known as Michelle, Big chickpea; Daddy, otherwise known as Tristan, Medium chickpea; Rowan and Baby chickpea Reuben. This blog was started as I thought I was starting to loose track of all the amazing day to day things my children learn and how we grow as a family. It is also here to keep family and friends up to date with our adventure of moving our life from the UK to Australia.



Thursday, 30 June 2011

Broody chook!

A couple of weeks ago, Eggbert, Rowans chicken disapeared.  It was a day when Rowan was out with Nanny and Grandad and I went out to collect eggs.  the hens were all out in the garden, but Eggy was nowhere to be seen.  I got the corn cup and tapped out a tune with my ring on the cup which normally gets them all running to my feet.  They all came on cue, but still no Eggy.  I went out and around the block, not that she could actually get out but I couldn't find her anywhere. I even asked the builders around the back if they had seen a big, black chicken!
So when Rowan got home i explained that Eggy was missing and she may have built a nest somewhere, but as she had only been laying for about 2 weeks we thought this unlikely.  Rowan said very calmly, "Maybe a fox has got her".  He didn't seem that bothered, but he was straight out the back looking in under every bush and tree in the garden.  Still no Eggy.  Then all of a sudden she comes bouncing across the garden as if nothing had happened!
We were all very relieved but still non the wiser.  That was until the following evening when something made me climb over a heap of old chicken wire right at the back of the garden to then catch out of the corner of my eye a nest, very well hidden in the base of a multi stemmed Sycamore tree.  In the nest were 7 eggs!
I felt really bad taking away her eggs, but thats what is recommended with a broody hen and as we have no cockeral it seemed pointless leaving her sit on them.
She seemed to take it ok, and has gone back to laying in the coop again.
They are funny creatures these chickens!

No comments:

Post a Comment