We are me; Mummy, otherwise known as Michelle, Big chickpea; Daddy, otherwise known as Tristan, Medium chickpea; Rowan and Baby chickpea Reuben. This blog was started as I thought I was starting to loose track of all the amazing day to day things my children learn and how we grow as a family. It is also here to keep family and friends up to date with our adventure of moving our life from the UK to Australia.



Thursday, 5 August 2010

Fire Station Open Day

It seems like last week was open day week!  After Airday on Wednesday we went to the local fire station open day on Saturday.  I didn't expect much, but I have not stopped talking about it!  It was fab!  It was free and they had 5 fire engines dating from 1972 to present day all open so the kids could just climb on in and play with whatever they liked and there were no queues, apart from the 1972 one as you could ring its bell which was a hot attraction for the kiddies!

The firemen were doing demonstrations and we got to watch the 'rescuing a lady, who is trapped in a car, by cutting the roof off'  Rowan was amazed and had a constant stream of 'why's' and 'what's', he loved it!

And then to top it off they could dress up in firemans clothes!

The only dissapointment was we went looking for the firemans pole only to be told that it had been removed years ago due to health and saftey :(

I much prefered this to Airday, apart from the fact it was free, I was much more prepared to answer Rowans  questions as it was about rescue services and not the armed forces! 

Anyway heres some photos:


Rowan dressed as the RNLI lifeguard

Ringing the bell in the old fire engine (it was hard work to turn it!)

The 1972 engine

The rescue

The two young firefighters (poor Reuben could hardly lift his head the helmets were so heavy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment