We are me; Mummy, otherwise known as Michelle, Big chickpea; Daddy, otherwise known as Tristan, Medium chickpea; Rowan and Baby chickpea Reuben. This blog was started as I thought I was starting to loose track of all the amazing day to day things my children learn and how we grow as a family. It is also here to keep family and friends up to date with our adventure of moving our life from the UK to Australia.



Wednesday, 14 March 2012

Bye Bye Dreads

For about a month now I have been thinking about having a big hair change.  When you have dreads you are kind of limited to what change you can have, colour or cut them off..... I decided on the cutting them off option.  A lot of people have asked me if I had got fed up with them or were they getting itchy?  But to be honest; No, I loved them.  I just fancied a change.

So heres a couple of before photos....


 

The process of getting me happy with my hair took over a week, 3 actual days of cutting, combing, cutting, colouring, cutting with a very patient friend.  We cut them at about 2 inches then combed them out, after having dreadlocks for 2 years I forgot how thin my hair was, and the huge amount that got pulled out when combing out the very tight dreads, I ended up looking very sparse in the hair depratment, but it was longish.  But I decided to go shorter. 
The day following the cut, I was really unhappy and had thought I had made a big mistake, I loved my dreads, why did I want such a dramatic change!
But then the next day I sat down with my friend and trawled through websites looking at hair, and finally got my hair cut how I like it, much shorter than I thought I had the confidence for, but I do now really like it.

Here are the final after shots.....



It is very strange to go from huge big hair to very little hair and it is quite liberating.  I do feel though that I have to make more of an effort in how I dress, I never thought it would make that much difference, but I suppose when you have dreads your hair takes away so much focus from you and you can kinda wear anything and pull it off.  I put on the same clothes now and feel really frumpy!  So I only have a few outfits that I feel look nice now, but I am happy with my hair, in fact I think I love it.  Almost, still not sure on the colour, but I will wait for that pesky gray to start to peek through and think again about colour.

So there you go, a new me!  No, not a new me, just a lighter and shorter haired one!


5 comments:

  1. I remember the first time that I cut my dreads feeling almost dizzy my head was so light. I'm now on dread round number three. I just can't seem to grow it out without letting it dread.

    Anyway, I love your new look. It has serious sassy charm :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ;)

      I think I will have dreads again at some point in my life. But even though it was over a week ago I still can't stop shaking my head!

      Delete
  2. Very brave! And a lovely elegant new hairstyle x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cut my dreads off less than a year ago and now I miss them :-( oh well. My hair is long enough again that I can put it in a pony tail...barely. Yours looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your new look is beautiful, I'd love to have the courage to have a chop like that. I have a long face and neck though so know it doesn't suit me. Well done you and I hope you find some nice new clothes :)

    Rae aka Starchild on GP x

    ReplyDelete