We are me; Mummy, otherwise known as Michelle, Big chickpea; Daddy, otherwise known as Tristan, Medium chickpea; Rowan and Baby chickpea Reuben. This blog was started as I thought I was starting to loose track of all the amazing day to day things my children learn and how we grow as a family. It is also here to keep family and friends up to date with our adventure of moving our life from the UK to Australia.



Saturday, 24 July 2010

Rhythm update

I have kind of had a little blog break recently.  I have been, especially this last week, exhausted!  The run up to full moon is always hard work, but Rowan is just so explosive at the moment.  I know boys between 3-5 are hard work, but it is draining!  The smallest thing can be blown up to almighty proportions and the effects can last a while! 

I have just finished reading Connection Parenting, which has some really lovely ideas, its just so hard to reprogramme myself not to snap and be shouty mama when my buttons are pressed!

Also this week we have diverted from our rhythm.  Everyone seemed a bit lethargic and grouchy this week, the weather has changed and been quite cloud like here, which always seems to affect our moods!  Almost a bit lost, Rowans preschool has broken up for summer holidays, the HE group has also stopped for the summer, so it seemed like a good week to just chill and see what happened.  Well I can safetly say that next week will be flowing along the lines of some rhythm again.

So, yes it has been working well for us.  It is a very flexible rhythm, its not really a routine as its much to malleable, more of an idea for the day and working out what times work best for what activity.
I think it also seems to give me more time to play with the boys without thinking of what I need to be doing next (which I am terrible for) because I know that if I have this 10/30/60 minutes with them doing something together then they are happy to play on their own without fighting or needed some direction from me.

A very rough idea of our day goes a little bit like this;
7-8 Breakfast/Stories/dressing etc
8-9 Free Play (kids) Housework (me) - sometimes Rowan likes to help with my jobs
9-10 Start activity - 
I usually give them a choice of activity, but always limit it to 2 or 3 and each day has a theme, Wednesday is baking day and Thursday is arty crafty day, our other days are filled up with grandparents, preschool, breastfeeding group and Home Ed group.  If they don't want to do the activity that is fine and we may just play games instead or play in the garden. 
10 snack (VERY IMPORTANT!!)
10-11 finish activity (if they are still interested)
11 Rest time - we all lie down on their beds and listen to a childrens meditation cd, Reuben has a nap, Rowan does very occasionally.  If Rowan doesn't fall asleep he comes out and we have some one-to-one time, either helping me prepare tea for later or some puzzles
1-2 Lunch time
2-4 Go out (maybe park, woods, beach or just down the lane) - this doesn't always happen, but I know I need to try harder to make it happen
4-5.30 - free play
Then teatime, play with Daddy, bedtime etc etc....

Wow! Thats quite weird to write it down like that, looks like a perfect day!  I can assure you it never actually goes that smoothly!

Overall, I think it has really helped us, Rowan knows he will get the time doing what he wants to do with me, and I know I will have the time to do things I need to do too, getting that balance is hard work, but I think with a rhythm in our day we are finding a balance within ourselves and with each other too.  The thing I find hardest is giving Reuben that one-to-one time too, I suppose he gets that when having mummy milk though :)

2 comments:

  1. I am very inspired by this organisation of your day, we have been trying to become more organised so not every day is wasted and boredom doesn't creep in. Have just pinched your plan and will adapt to fit other groups, playthings, bfing cafes we go to as well. We certainly don't make the time to go out every day which is a shame as we are surrounded by fields and woods, envy you being near the beach :) Thank you and fingers crossed it helps! sarie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really interesting to read this, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete